Saturday, February 5, 2011

Teach Yourself EDH in Three Weeks

    Time for another fun combo (and by fun I mean disgusting). Linvala, Keeper of Silence + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Kormus Bell. All lands are also swamps. All swamps are also 1/1 black creatures. Linvala says your opponents can't use activated abilities on creatures, i.e. can't tap their swamp creatures for mana.

    If there's anything we learned from today's games, it's don't forget your pot holderz. Enchantment lockdown is scary. Today we played one five player free for all and one teams 3v3 (Marvel style!). It was interesting to watch people's mentality in the free for all game. Kanji was the only player running poison and while he could've easily rushed down one person, he played it quite evenly. No one wants to be that person picked on in an FFA - in the team game there were no hard feelings because you knew who your opponents were. Unfortunately, I feel that the reason why the free for all took so long was because everyone was going quite easy on each other. Quite a few graveyard shenanigans too. Maybe some graveyard hate is in order. After playing, all I could think about was how to improve my deck. To think that originally I planned out seven different decks, but right now I really want this one to flourish before I move onto another. I guess another factor is - do I want a number of crappy budget decks or one solid deck? The nice part about having more than one deck is that it makes it harder for others to meta against you. After all, once you reveal which general you're playing, no one can change their deck. A bunch of us, myself included, made a bunch of mistakes that could have easily been prevented had we been paying attention to what was going on the field. For example, no one realized an enchantment that G owned had been destroyed, but we continued to play as if it was still in play. Sometimes we messed up with what our own cards did and sometimes we realize that we could have taken an opponent out had we played correctly. I guess it all comes with practice and figuring out all the options your deck has in any situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment