Greetings and welcome to a mini blog for EDH (aka Commander) in Etobicoke. First of all, I apologize for any spelling or grammatical errors as I am quite tired while writing this. Magic the Gathering is one of those games (*cough*Diablo 2*cough*) that I keep quitting, only to find myself coming back to it a year or two later. I was doing quite well staying away from MtG until I was introduced to a highly entertaining format called Elder Dragon Highlander. My girlfriend's brother taught me how and proceeded to destroy me with his own decks. Granted, I was playing with his as well but it's just not the same. EDH opened up all new creative possibilities in deck creation and I just had to make my own. I won't explain EDH as I feel that the majority of people reading this blog will be friends already familiar with it. I would like to create a small community in Etobicoke (at a minimum) to start playing. That's not to say that there aren't people already playing, I just have to find them that's all. My friends and I have gotten into the format using the following generals:
Azusa by yours truly
Hanna by G
Konda by Richard
Rakdos by Beard
Saffi by Kanji
RG Wort by Matt
    While generals are interchangeable - colours aren't. That's not to say that people won't be switching up their decks and such, right now it will be interesting to see where this goes. I haven't seen the Wort, Konda or Hanna decks. Konda doesn't look like he gives too much to offer, however, being indestructible and having bushido 5 make it a hard creature to get rid of. I don't think the Wort deck is goblin themed. Maybe just a nasty burn fork deck? Enchantments with recursion can be very scary to deal with. I would hate to go up against a deck running Propaganda, Ghostly Prison AND Windborn Muse.
    Maybe a hundred MWS solitaire and test games later, I finally received my deck in the mail. Around 1AM at a Perkins restaurant, I challenged Beard to a game. Naturally, playing in person was infinitely times more fun than through the PC. Where getting land-screwed can be frustrating on MWS, I couldn't help but laugh at waiting at least seven turns for a land to drop (that'll teach me to keep a good hand waiting on one forest). Knowing when to mulligan is something I need work on. One on one was fun and quite straight-forward, but I'm really looking forward to playing multiplayer. Preferably teams with an even amount of players on each team. I could go into a lot of detail on the mentality of free for all multiplayer games in my experience, but that could probably take a blog post of its own. It will be interesting to see how games turn out. Will one person's deck dominate? Will people have to change their deck to fight the meta? Will we get an even number of players? Stay tuned.
No comments:
Post a Comment